- Salkantay Trek 2D/1N -
Day 1 – Cusco – Humantay lake – Quiswarniyoc private camp site
After picking everyone up from their hotels we depart from Cusco around 5:45 am and start our 2-hour drive to the town of Mollepata. Once there we will stop to have breakfast and pay the entrance fee of 20 soles to the local government (this is not included in the tour price since it’s a personal payment). We will continue by car for an extra hour to Soraypampa where we will meet with the porters and horses who will carry our equipment, food, and a +- 5 kilos per person during the trek. From there, we’ll start the uphill hike to Humantay Lake, reaching it after about 1.5 hours. When you arrive at the lake you will have a couple of hours to explore, take photos, and listen to our guide’s explanation about the significance of this beautiful place. After all this, we will walk downhill for 2 hours and have lunch at our exclusive camp, Quiswarniyoc. After lunch, you’ll have free time to explore the beautiful area or to do an optional hike to the Mirador of Salkantay for panoramic views of the entire area. If you are tired, you can just rest in the Mountain Sky Huts or the glass igloos equipped with glass doors, pillows, and sleeping pads.
Day 2 – Quiswarniyoc – Salkantay pass – Cusco
The second day of the trek is the most demanding since it’s a 20-kilometer trek and takes you to the highest point (4630 meters above sea level). Our cooks will wake us up around 5:00 a.m. with a cup of hot coca tea as we take our time to repack and get ready for the nutritious breakfast that will be served around 5:45 a.m. After breakfast, it is time to start hiking up to the pass between snow peaks! This will take 3 to 4 hours of uphill hiking at a regular to slow pace. Once we get to the highest point, we will have time to enjoy the mountains, take pictures, learn about the mountain gods, and take part in a small traditional Andean ritual for the mountain Apus.
Afterward, you’ll begin the 2.5-hour downhill trek back to Soraypampa, where transportation will be waiting to take you to Mollepata for lunch. Following lunch, you’ll continue with a two-hour drive back to Cusco, arriving at approximately 6:00 p.m.
What is included?
- Pick up from your hotel in Cusco.
- Private transportation to the beginning of the Salkantay trail.
- 5 meals: two breakfasts, two lunches, one dinner.
- Professional Guide.
- Mountain Sky Huts with thick mattresses, glass doors, Night Lighting, and panoramic views.
- Vegetarian/Vegan options available on request with no additional charges.
- First-aid equipment and oxygen bottle for emergencies.
- Support over messages and/or calls via your Tour Organizer.
What is not included?
- Entrance to Humantay Lake charged by the local government of Mollepata (20 soles).
- Sleeping Bags – If you do not have one you can rent from us for $10 USD for the whole trek.
- Travel insurance.
- Extra expenses.
We suggest you pack:
- A backpack. We recommend bringing a backpack of 25 – 30 liters, but if you like to can bring a daypack or any size of the backpack as long as you feel comfortable with it.
- Sleeping bag at least minus 5 cº. If you don’t have one, you can rent one from us.
- Trekking Poles – If you do NOT have one, you can rent a pair of trekking poles from us.
- Wool hat or beanie.
- Sun hat.
- Scarf and gloves if you have them.
- Layers (sweater, fleece).
- 2 – 3 pairs of socks.
- Rain gear (Pants, jacket, if you do not have you can buy a rain poncho) is crucial, especially for the rainy season.
- A small headlamp if you have one.
- A small towel.
- Toothbrush and other personal toiletries.
- Toilet paper.
- Sun cream.
- Insect repellent.
- Sandals / Flip flops.
- Some snacks such as chocolate, cereal bars, candies, nuts, energy bars, etc.
- Extra Cash in Soles.